The Cranefly HUG Quilt
The Cranefly HUG quilt is meant to be made for someone in need of a hug. Please keep the person in mind while you are stitching the quilt together; this way love will enter the quilt.
This quilt is free-form stitched with 2”, 2-1/2” and 3” strips and nine 10” x 10” appliquéd letter blocks.
A design wall is very handy in designing this quilt.
1. Cut a strips of various lengths from your fabrics. Mix it up with different width strips, also. I used 2”, 2-1/2”, and 3” widths.
2. Cut nine background squares 10” x 10” for the letter blocks.
3. Create a pattern for the H U G letters. Using a word processing program (like Word), select a nice font, enlarge it to about 7" tall, then print out each letter on regular 8-1/2" x 11" paper.
3. Prepare the fabric for the letters with a fusible on the back. I prefer Mistyfuse.
4. Using your printed letter patterns, trace onto the fabric side of the Mistyfused fabric, and cut out the letters. Iron the letters onto the background squares, then applique the edges using a decorative stitch.
5. Lay out strips and letter squares on your design wall.
6. When you are at peace, stitch the quilt together.
7. Machine quilt in an all-over happy design.
© Cranefly Quilts